MRO Launches MROeLink®, Suite of Health Information Technology Integrations for Automating Release of Information
Time study shows integrations cut Release of Information validation and data entry times in half: improving accuracy and efficiency
NORRISTOWN, Pa. – January 21, 2016 – MRO, a leader in the secure, compliant and efficient exchange of Protected Health Information (PHI), announced today the general availability of its new suite of health information technology (HIT) integrations for Release of Information (ROI) called MROeLink®. At the core of MROeLink is a direct synchronization between MRO’s PHI disclosure management platform ROI Online® and the ROI module within the Epic electronic medical record (EMR) system. Some MRO clients have already implemented the technology and report sweeping improvements in productivity.
“The traditional ROI process is highly manual, but with MROeLink, we have been able to automate every part of the ROI workflow that could be automated,” said David Borden, chief technology officer for MRO. “This is appreciated by all stakeholders: ROI staff is more efficient and their jobs are easier; health information management (HIM) leadership is pleased with improved productivity; and IT teams express positive experiences. We look forward to rolling out the solution to more clients in 2016.”
MROeLink is comprised of links between MRO’s platform and other HIT systems including the master patient index (MPI), enterprise document management (EDM) system, clinical document repository (CDR) and EMR. The list of its components includes:
- MPI patient lookup: Enables HIM staff to electronically access patient identifiers, demographics and encounter history directly within the MRO ROI Online® platform, eliminating the need for copying or retyping information.
- Request documentation archiving: Sends ROI request documentation, such as cover letters and patient authorizations, to the hospital’s EDM system, so that the hospital can retain a copy without having to scan the documentation into two systems.
- Epic ROI module interface: Automatically synchronizes requester information and delivery status between ROI Online and Epic’s ROI module. This synchronization includes MPI patient lookup and request documentation archiving, plus the following items:
- Record uploader: Moves patient records from the hospital network into the ROI Online system, streamlining the export process, bypassing EMR print server delays and minimizing the need to switch between systems.
- Clinical document extraction: Leverages CDR standards to facilitate the sharing of CCD or C-CDA structured content. A common use case is to automatically route patient information to the Social Security Administration (SSA) to accelerate disability claim determinations.
MRO client, Beaumont Health (formerly Oakwood Healthcare) in Dearborn, Mich., transitioned from a variable step ROI processing workflow to the automated MROeLink platform in September 2015. Time studies, conducted by MRO, show Beaumont’s ROI logging times have been cut in half since deploying the technology which eliminates the need for dual data entry in Epic and ROI Online.
“The technology helped increase efficiencies in our data entry and validation process allowing us to fulfill more requests, faster” said Kathleen McKibbin, HIM operations manager for Beaumont Health. “In addition to improved productivity, we have also seen decreases in operational costs and increases in service quality, customer satisfaction and accuracy.”
MRO’s cloud-based ROI Online platform empowers healthcare organizations to standardize PHI disclosure across an organization and improve compliance, processes and efficiencies. In June 2015, KLAS named MRO the leader for quality and overall performance in ROI in the “HIM Services Performance 2015: Coding, Transcription, Release of Information” report. MRO is the reigning KLAS Category Leader for ROI (2013, 2014).
About Beaumont Health
Beaumont Health is Michigan’s largest health care system, based on inpatient admissions and net patient revenue. A not-for-profit organization, it was formed in 2014 by Beaumont Health System, Botsford Health Care and Oakwood Healthcare to provide patients with the benefit of greater access to extraordinary, compassionate care, no matter where they live in Southeast Michigan. Beaumont Health has budgeted net revenue of $4.1 billion and consists of eight hospitals with 3,337 beds, 168 outpatient sites, nearly 5,000 physicians and 35,000 employees and about 3,500 volunteers. In 2014, the combined organizations had 175,675 inpatient admissions, 16,229 births and 492,148 emergency visits. For more information, visit beaumont.org.
MRO empowers healthcare organizations with proven, enterprise-wide solutions for the secure, compliant and efficient exchange of Protected Health Information (PHI). These solutions include a suite of PHI disclosure management services comprised of release of information, government and commercial payer audit management and accounting of disclosures. MRO’s technology-driven services reduce the risk of improper disclosure of PHI, ensure unmatched accuracy and enhance turnaround times. MRO additionally supports its clients’ current and future initiatives, including interoperability, meaningful use and health information exchange. To learn more, visit www.mrocorp.com.